Sample Sexual Assault Police Interview Questions
When an officer starts an interview they want to get the most detailed answers as possible. They would start with getting what we call a pure version statement. We would ask something like, “please start at the beginning, wherever you think that is, and tell me what happened.” Some people immediately give a detailed account of what happened and others, due to a variety of reasons, have to be asked a lot of questions about what has happened.
We ask things like:
- Who did this, is he/ known to you?
- If so, what is the relationship (consent might be a factor if they were in a relationship before)
- If not we get as much of a description about the perpetrator as possible
- Where and when the assault happened?
- What happened during the assault, weapons used, physical force used like choking, bondage, assault, forcible confinement etc?
- Did he ejaculate? If so where (internal, external)? Was a condom used? If so where is it?
- Did you shower, wash your clothes or wash other items?
- Were alcohol or drugs a factor?
- Was the assault more than once?
- Any witnesses, emails, texts or other documentation from the accused or victim?
- Have you been to the doctor?
These questions are only part of what we ask and each case is different. A lot of the time the questions depends on the type of assault and what the victim says during his/her statement.
At the end of the statement we offer support through victim services or other support if the victim has questions about where to go.